Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Here is why I am not allowed to drive in Melbourne

Here is a picture of what is referred to as a Melbourne Hook Turn. Bear in mind that in Australia they drive on the left-hand side of the road. Only in Melbourne do they have the hook turn, that is why they call it a Melbourne Hook Turn. Pretty ingenious, eh? They use the hook turn in order to facilitate a right turn in intersections where there is a lot of through traffic and trolleys. Basically, the driver who wants to turn right, moves into the left side of the intersection and allows the through traffic to move by. Then when they get the chance, they turn right. Sometimes there are two or three cars sitting in the intersection. And in most cases, they usually make the turn after the light has turned red. That is where the horns come in.


I mentioned the Shrine of Remembrance.  This is a picture of it, as well as a shot of Melbourne from the upper balcony of the Shrine.  Inside the shrine is a stone tablet that is below the floor, where you have to bow your head to read "Greater love hath no man" that is engraved on the stone.  There is a portal in the side of the shrine up high on one side.  On Remembrance Day, November 11 at 11:00 they have a moment of silence in remembrance of Australians who lost their lives in war.  At the same time, the portal focuses a beam of sunlight that travels across the inside of the Shrine and crosses over the stone and it lights up the word "Love" as the Earth moves around the sun.



I mentioned the library that I stumbled upon. It was the State Library of Victoria.  Here are a few pictures of it.  The pictures do not do it justice because of the sheer size of the place.  Every floor was full of tables and research desks, everyone was full.  There were so many people there and it was a Sunday afternoon.  The picture on the right is of the dome. 




I have several pictures of the Botanical Gardens, but due to a recent revelation, I found out that a certain, un-named family member, hates trees.  So, I won't talk about the tree's lest my daughter get upset and go anti-arbor on me again.  Take that Tree Hater!



Here is a picture of the deluxe accommodations that the company put me up in, after I got kicked out of the Holiday Inn for excessive flushing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment